Opinions On Insta-coiler

jpiesik@arinc.com jpiesik@arinc.com
Wed, 04 Dec 1996 11:47:17 -0500

     Hi Arnold,

     This is my opinion:  don't waste your money.

     Even if you're doing complete re-stringing jobs you don't have to have
     anything fancy.  I use a 1 1/2 inch hardwood dowel with a hole drilled
     in one end for the tuning pin.  Next to the hole is a screw to guide
     the string as I twist a coil onto the tuning pin.  I even bought a
     fancy machined aluminum tool last year to replace my homemade tool -
     the one with the adjustable screw/wingnut at one end for adjusting the
     tuning pin depth and fancy knurling around the outside of the tool.
     It's a nice tool.  Never used it yet.  I like my homemade tool for
     making coils.

     This isn't rocket science and doesn't require high precision.
     Good-looking coils come from experience, skill, and careful
     workmanship.

     Save your money for a Genck String Case instead!

     John Piesik
     Piesik's Piano Service
     Carlsbad, CA
     JPIESIK@ARINC.COM