Static SAT

Gittinger, Delbert M. delgit@acc-net.com
Wed, 04 Dec 1996 20:43:44 -0500

Sy,

Ron & Warren are both correct.  I'm also an Electronic Music Technician
(MITA = Music Instrument Technicians' Association) and using a wrist strap
to ground yourself to the piano plate would be recommended.  As mentioned,
the problem is the difference in potential between you and the SAT.  During
low humidity your body movement creates static potential - especially if
you're wearing a sweater and/or the customer has the right (wrong?) kind of
carpet.

The static wrist straps can be gotten and most Radio Shack stores.  If you
wish I can give you the names and addresses of electronics mail-order
places that also handle them.  I have two straps - one in my electronics
tool kit, the other in my piano tool kit.

Del Gittinger, RPT
Registered Piano Technician
of the Piano Technicians Guild
delgit@acc-net.com