Piano Storage

Vanderhoofven dkvander@clandjop.com
Thu, 05 Dec 1996 12:47:47 -0600

Dear Friends,

At Missouri Southern State College, where I work part time, there are three
9' grands stored in "humidity controlled storage boxes" back stage.  (One
Baldwin SD and  two newer Steinway D's.)  I felt confident that these pianos
were being protected.  However, on closer examination, the humidity control
in these storage boxes consists merely of a Sears room dehumidifier running
at full blast.  There is no means for humidification when it is too dry.

The administration is not overly fond of having a Dampp-Chaser system
visible underneath the pianos, but I see no other way.

Last August I recorded a level of 67% RH on stage.  Last Monday while I was
tuning, I recorded a level of 28% RH on stage.  I know this is too low, and
I don't want to see the new pianos become too dry and become damaged.  What
would you suggest for upgrading the "piano garages" to include some sort of
humidification and a humidistat?  Is the Dampp-Chaser humidistat able to
control larger room size humidifiers and dehumidifiers?

You may e-mail me privately if you wish, or reply on the list if you think
it is worth discussing here.

Sincerely,
David

David A. Vanderhoofven
Joplin, Missouri, USA
Associate Member, Piano Technicians Guild
e-mail:  dkvander@clandjop.com
web page:  http://www.clandjop.com/~dkvander/
#pianotech page:  http://www.clandjop.com/~dkvander/ircpiano.html