Sliced Dummy Pin (was Re: Opinions On Insta-coiler)

Warren Fisher fish@communique.net
Fri, 06 Dec 1996 21:40:39 -0800

Avery Todd wrote:

> Warren,
>
>    Now why hadn't I thought of that? After all the times I've struggled to
> get the wire out of the dummy pin! Good idea.
>
> Avery

Avery,

It is a good idea, but not mine.  I think Spurlock did it.  I've made
three of the darn things, but still can never find one when I need it!
I just use any pin laying around as a dummy and getting the wire out is
simple when you know how. First, wind a coil just like you would to
re-string a piano on to a full length pin. Next remove the pin from
coiler and hold it in your left hand (if you're right-handed) with the
becket up and your forefinger pressing the coil flush to the pin so that
the becket is backed as far out of the hole as possible.  Then use your
needle nosed pliers to grab the becket right next to pin and inside the
coil (the pliers need narrow tips).  Line the plier up with the pin and
holding the pin firmly with the left hand pry the becket out against the
top of the tuning pin! Pry just to the point where you can pull the coil
over the top of the pin.  About half of the becket should be sticking
into the center of the coil when you get it off.  If not, you'll have
trouble inserting the becket into the destination pin.  Cut it off and
try again.  Care should be taken to not insert the plier too far or you
will open up the coil.  It takes me about 5 seconds to pry the coil off
the dummy and 10 to install it in the piano if the pins aren't too close
together.  If you practice on about ten coils in a row, you won't have
any more trouble with it.

Once it's in the piano, turn the pin with the coil you installed second
(the loose one!) 1/4 turn, use your parallel pliers (no teeth) to press
the becket into the hole, and then do the same with the other pin. Pluck
the strings, then turn the pin with the sharpest string 1/8 turn tighter
then back so that beckets point in the same direction.  Repluck the
strings and you will find the strings very close in pitch. If not, do it
again.  When you get the strings up to pitch you will have both the
beckets pointing in the same direction.  If you are consistent in how
you cut your wire, it'll look like a factory job! Good Luck!

							Warren
--
Warren D. Fisher
fish@communique.net