S&S Sound - 2 -Reply

Vince Mrykalo mrykalov@BYUGATE.byu.edu
Fri, 06 Dec 1996 20:46:05 -0700

William Schneider wrote:
Yes, the hammers could be better, but they could be worse. The latest
voicing
recommendations seem to be the problem,... Ironically, applying lacquer,
or whatever, to the
crown of the hammer was strongly warned against in the older service
manual. I think it's
fair to note that both factory and field technicians who use "Method B"
routinely are equally to blame, if they create the inverse
brightness/power
curve thereby. It seems to me that the place to apply hardener is where
the
hammers need it, not by following either Method A or B.

Of course, the hammers need it at the core, right under the top of the
crown.  In order to get it there, it is applied from the top of the crown,
and soaks in deeply (just to the wood molding),  thereby leaving some of
it where it is not needed too (at the surface).  The only other alternative
from going in from the top, is to go in from the sides, as Cliff Geers has
taught in his hammer classes many years ago.  It seems to me applying it
directly on the shoulders is worse yet, as you want the shoulders to be
pliant.

vince mrykalo rpt mpt