Backcheck installation

Wimblees@aol.com Wimblees@aol.com
Sat, 07 Dec 1996 18:47:06 -0500

>I'm rebuilding a 1925 Steinway O right now and I'm putting all Renner parts
>on (with the exception of wippens).  I'm looking for a way to install the
>new backchecks (with wires) in the old keys.  I would appreciate any
>suggestions which aid in an expeditious installation.  (I'm
>"Spurlocking-around" with a jig for depth and position- still no success.)
>
> I noticed a "Backcheck installer" in the Steinway tech reference manual,
>but it does not appear in the price list or in any illustration.  Any idea
>what this could be or how it works?
>
>Thanks
>

>Eric Leatha, RPT
>Portland, OR

I did this several times and it worked quite well

Clamp the key in a vice, and then using large end nippers, extract the old
wire from the key. The key should be flush with the top of the vice. Then
place a small block of wood on the vice, at the end of the key, and use it as
a fulcrum to pull out the wire with the back check.

To insert the new wires with back check, gently tap the wire in the hole with
a soft face hammer. Since the new wires are straight you will have to bend
the wire to match to old angle. As far as highth is concerned, before
extraxcting the old wire, make a jig of some sort that replicates the highth
of the old back check, and tap in the new one to the appopriate highth.

It is not as difficult as it sounds, but you do have to be carefull getting
the old wires out.

Good luck

Willem Blees RPT
St. Louis.