Static SAT

Randy Potter rpotter@bendnet.com
Sun, 08 Dec 1996 13:59:03 -0800 (PST)

While we have a dry climate in Central Oregon, and periodically have
"static" problems in the winter, I have never had any trouble with static
and my SAT - in over 10 years of use! Nor do the other three technicians
in our area who use SATs, or the four who use the Yamaha PT-100.

Of course, that does not mean other places do not have this problem.

My suggestions would be;

1)  If this is rare or sporadic, try removing your shoes, so you will
ground out into the carpet.
2)  Check with other technicians who use the SAT *in your own area*, and
see if they were having the same static problem on the same days.
  If they were, then it is a general problem you can work at solving
together. Then please let us all know, because we are interested both in
the problem and the solution. If we were not interested, we would have
"deleted" the posting or "unsubscribed" by now.
  But if the other techs in your own area were not / are not having the
same problem on the same days - then its YOU!
  It could be your clothes. When I used to work in surgery at a hospital,
the ladies did not wear any nylon, because it created static. (So, I will
leave it up to someone else to ask people what kind of underwear they
have on when this happens.)
  Or it could be your shoes. Who knows what kind of synthetic PCBs is in
your shoes? They may look like rubber but be something that conducts,
instead of insulates. Solving this situation could be as simple an
wearing sneakers to work! (I do. I buy the black ones that look like
dress shoes. Not because of static, but because they are more comfortable
for me. I even wear them with a suit, and no one seems to notice. (I
know, everyone will come up to me at the next few conventions and say
"nice sneakers, Potter", but, oh well.) But, I may have unknowingly
solved and/or prevents a static problem here by the shoes I wear.

Randy Potter, R.P.T.
Randy Potter School of Piano Technology
"Training Competent Piano Technicians for the 21st Century"
New Address: rpotter@bendnet.com
New Area Code: 541. Phone: 541-382-5411. FAX: 541-382-5400.
See Us on the Net at: http//:www.tuningschool.com