Cut tuning pin (was: Opinions On Insta-coiler)

Joel Rappaport joelr@flash.net
Sun, 08 Dec 1996 17:10:28 -0600

Warren is right - see below. (Boy, what some people remember!!)  Let me
add two things to our reasoning about our coil count and becket
position.

Picture, as an example, stringing a grand and looking down at the tuning
pin area.  If the becket is at 9 o'clock, you use your favorite tool at
the 3 o'clock position to raise the coils, then go about setting the
coils so 1/2 of the hole shows at that 3 o'clock position.
If the becket is at 3 o'clock, in my experience, I have to raise the
coils there (that's where the wire joins the tuning pin) AND move the
tool over to the 9 o'clock postion and raise the coils there also.
That's twice as much coil raising, twice as much work and twice as much
time.  I was surprised by one person in the class that took this really
personally, saw me afterward and said that he always put the becket at 3
o'clock and did spectacular stringing work and why was I questioning his
personal procedure.  You know, that's OK, too.  You do it any way you
want.  You listen to how I do it, I'll listen to how you do it and now
we each have two ideas (and combinations thereof) to do something.

The 2 1/2 turns of the wire around the tuning pin have proven to be
sufficient for our work.  We were concerned that theoretically there
would not be enough wire wrapped around the tuning pin, but we do NOT
have any trouble with tuning stability.  And the tuning pin sits just a
little lower in the pinblock to offset that "flagpoling" effect.

----Joel