Cut tuning pin (was: Opinions On Insta-coiler)

Warren Fisher fish@communique.net
Sun, 08 Dec 1996 15:24:00 -0800

Jon Page wrote:

 I still have three
> coils with the becket about 3:00.
> Jon Page

Jon,

Most technicians in this business have different philosophies about a
lot of things. This is one of mine.  After attending a seminar given by
the Rappaports (of Texas) several years back at which they said that the
three coils and the 3:00 position are not written in stone!  That
anything from 2-1/2 to 3-1/2 turns are equally good.  That they
regularly used the 2-1/2 turns leaving the becket at 9:00 which alowed
them better control of the wire leading into the coil, particularly in
the bass of those uprights like Everetts where the high v-bar causes the
wire to descend a half inch to the tuning pin and most of the time rides
up over the coil. (When you are talking about the 3:00 position, I
assume that you are talking about the stringing position, upright on a
tilter and grand in its' normal position).  To correct the string
ride-over above, back off the pin 1/4 turn, put a coil lifter under the
coil where the wire intersects the pin, lift the coil slightly higher
and re-tighten.  With the becket on the far side you can do this, but it
is impossible if the becket is anywhere near to the point the string
wraps around the pin. We may be both saying the same thing from
different viewpoints. Please let me know.

						Warren

--
Warren D. Fisher
fish@communique.net