Hammer 'n stuff

Joel Rappaport joelr@flash.net
Sun, 08 Dec 1996 17:33:06 -0600

André writes:

> Why do I read on the list only about laquer and aceton/plastic and not about
> ether/alcohol/collodium

Well, André, this interesing mixture is one that has been used for a
long time by Bösendorfer in Vienna and Renner in Stuttgart.  Here in the
USA, collodion (the very hard part of the mixture) is fairly difficult
to find at the local pharmacy.  Ether is associated with drug use and if
you try to get it, you get some "looks" from the sales people.  The
ether to be used is not the automotive type used to start engines when
it is very cold, but a purer form.  If I remember correctly, the alcohol
used is Methyl Alcohol.  All of this stuff is incredibly flammable!
Great care must be made to prevent smoking around the voicing area.  And
this  dangerous mixture is not welcome on airplanes when you travel.
I used to search for all these ingredients and mix them up for voicing,
but found that I liked the acetone/plastic just as well.  Others have
great success with the lacquer mixture.  All of these are much easier
for us to obtain locally.

> I recently wrote to you a remark about hammers, but never received any answer.

We did receive your remarks about hammers and are digesting them in
order to discuss them intelligently.  In short, you can be sure that
American Steinway hammers are different from what you are used to.

Keep those questions and comments coming.  We enjoy hearing from you.

----Joel