Wire cutter modification (was:Cut tuning pin (was: Opinions On Insta-coiler))

Warren Fisher fish@communique.net
Mon, 09 Dec 1996 06:50:39 -0800

Jon Page wrote:

> Warren,
> Thanks for that little trick on high v-bars. Generally the 3:00 position
> (3 full wraps) is what I perfer to do. I've had strings stable with 2 wraps.
> Just as long as all they are beckets are in the same direction for neatness.
> For appearance, I like the becket at, oh let's say 2:30; even 12:00 looks
> good. Consistency is the trick. It's just a matter of stringing enough to
> get those little suckers going in the same direction.
> Jon Page

I agree, consistancy of string cutting is the key. (you saw Joels'
comment on using the becket to hold one side of the coil while adjusting
the other side so that 1/2 of the becket hole was visible to level the
coil?)

Which reminds me of a tool modification I saw years ago that was really
interesting, but never did anything about, because I didn't have a drill
press at the time.  It was a Starrett wire cutter with a piece of about
1/8th inch thick rod (maybe smaller) attached through a hole drilled in
the side of one of the jaws and bent to lie alongside the cutting jaws
while you were cutting the wire!

The distance the rod extended beyond the jaws was the piano wire length
needed to make the coil!  You stretched the wire over the tuning pin,
touched the tip of the rod to it (the target pin) while maneuvering the
cutter into cutting position and SNAP; you get an exact length of wire
every time! No necessary adjustments for width of fingers! :-)

The rod was bent 90 degrees to go through the hole and again on the far
side to keep it from falling out.  When you were finished the rod could
be pivoted around in its' hole to lie along the handle of the cutter for
compactness of storage.

Let me know if you do this, and particularly what distance the rod
should extend beyond the cutter blades because I'm sure my notes about
it are long gone.  I'll do the same.

						Warren

--
Warren D. Fisher