Opinions On Insta-coiler

Tcoates@aol.com Tcoates@aol.com
Mon, 09 Dec 1996 08:30:55 -0500

I have followed the discussion about the insta coiler with interest.  For my
money it is the best tool I have for stringing an entire instrument.  The
second time I used it to string an entire instrument it more than paid for
itself.  I base my standards for hours per job on Newton Hunt's guidelines.
  I generally am much faster than Newton's hourly estimates, but it gives me
some guidelines.  The Insta Coiler has helped me to do factory quality
stringing with 40%  less time involved.

I had talked with a technician who must do many restingings a year just to
keep up with the rust problems in his area.  He must do stringing quickly and
with factory quality.    What do you think he recommended: Insta Coiler.
 Come to find out he was right.  It takes time to get used to.  But even
learning to use the Insta Coiler, I took the same amount of time as
traditional methods to string a piano.  Now that I have learned how to use
it, I feel comfortable and fast.  Everyone has their own methods and I
developed my own.  I am glad someone else learned to use this tool and use it
well, as their influence has made my life easier and much more productive.

I did have to return my first tool.  But I saw the benefits this tool could
provide.  So, I got another.

Tim Coates
University of South Dakota