Harpsichord Questions

TunerJeff@aol.com TunerJeff@aol.com
Mon, 09 Dec 1996 11:28:15 -0500

Dear Folks,

   I've got a question or two for you hand-crafted reproduction of
'hysterical' instruments types. A local high school has just recieved a 6-ft.
hand-made instrument back from being on loan to the community concert
association. It has a brass dedication plaque that dates it to 1965. There is
no makers-mark. There is no identification of company or source for it's
parts or pieces. The case is totally plain, with no ornamentation of any
kind. The hinges on the folding top, which folds all the way over the keys,
are standard cabinet hinges.
It is-
57 keys- From an A to an F (4 octaves and a smidge)
Single strings from bottom to top- Minimal changes in string-size (...like 7
sizes from; .025 to .009)
Two hand controls or stops. One at either end of the keyboard. Bass control
shifts a rail with felt pieces near the end of the speaking length, acting as
a sort of 'buff'-stop. Treble control shifts the line of the plectrons closer
or farther from the strings for a heavier 'bite' on the string. (Currently
does not function because the damper-felts are too worn, when you attempt to
shift  the action the felts force it back.)

     It has 6 broken/missing strings. The music rack has disappeared. The
wires in it appear to be different sources, as they range in color from a
silver to an almost copper/brass color, and there are wierd jumps in string
size (...as in; "Oh, the string's broken. Here, this oughta fit... it looks
ok to me!")

Questions-
1. Good source for harpsichord strings?
2. Stringing scale for this little 'kit-creature'?
3. Source for replacement plectrons or plectron-units? (Plastic pieces
mounted to an adjustable peg, with a light spring that forces the return of
the plectron, there is a slit for mounting a folded piece of felt that serves
as a damper-felt. There is a small round lead weight, too. Several are broken
or cracked.)
4. Can you identify the maker, or at least the source for the kit?
5. What pitch should it be tuned to? (435? Or lower?)
6. Which temperament would be appropriate for it? (I'm an aural tuner, and I
have Jorgenson's massive tome "Tuning" to draw from. I'm leaning towards
Kirnberger, as I need to educate the local accompanist on tuning it!)
7. The strings are, to my eye, badly strung. They are simply twisted several
times and slapped over the hitch-pin & the tuning pins have loose 'wads' of
string simply wound on to them... the bearing from the termination varies
from string to string because of this.
Is it appropriate to give them a proper 'bass-loop' and neatly coil them on
the pin? Is there a correct angle from the termination point or number of
coils?
8. The damper felt  resembles folded medium key-bushing cloth, will this
serve? Or should I simply razor the felt currently in place for a clean line?
8. Is there a harpsichord equivalent to this TechList? If so... WHERE!?

Thanks for your time,
Jeffrey T. Hickey, RPT
Oregon Coast Piano Services
TunerJeff @ aol.com
(541) 756-7701

ps- The local teacher wants this creature in service for a concert in 9 days.
I got my first view of it on Saturday evening. Help.
Thank-you!
;>)