I got one ....

Greg & Mary Ellen Newell gnewell@en.com
Mon, 09 Dec 1996 21:13:51 +0000

Good Evening All,
	I have a bit of a puzzler. Perhaps some of you deep thinkers
out there could shed some light.
	I just tuned a Howard grand (read cheap) for the second time
since it was new. I tuned it the first time as well. It  had
noticeably loose tuning pins in an instrument only 1 year
old. I should mention at this junkture that this piano
resides in a community are of a rather large nursing home
(read 80 degrees or more ALL THE TIME). In the same room is a
90,000 BTU gas fireplace that is used frequently.
Additionally the heating system is water pipes under the
floor heating the floor itself and thus the rest of the room.
The ceiling is 3 1/2 stories up. The theory behind this type
of heat is that if your feet are warm , so then is the rest
of you.
	By now your asking, Greg, what's the question? Well, I'm
glad you asked!!!! I understand that these things can cause a
loose pinblock in so short a time. I can also understand why
the piano was pretty badly out of tune. What I don't
understand is why I also discovered problems of damper guide
rail holes being too tight and needing easing. Also I found a
hammer  flange or 2 that needed repinning as well. Now this
is where I'm confused. It's no mystery to me that this is not
the Cadillac of pianos but why do I seem to have 2 different
sets of problems normally caused by 2 different sets of
conditions? There that's my question and I'm stickin to it!
	BTW, I have asked the owner of the nursing home to begin
keeping a chart to show humidity fluctuations. I mentioned
that the more often during the day that they recorded
readings the better we might be able to diagnose the problem.
	I countin on you!
				kindest regards,
					Greg
Greg & Mary Ellen Newell