Re; Harpsichord Answers

TunerJeff@aol.com TunerJeff@aol.com
Tue, 10 Dec 1996 04:41:34 -0500

Dear Avery, Ben, Jim(s), and Steve,

    Much thanks for the amazing quantity of info. I appreciate the efforts of
those who have the time to search the web (...'cause I flat don't have the
time or speedy computer needed for it, Keith! 200 hits on harpsichords! The
mind reels! I'd run gibbering to a corner after an hour or so!) sharing their
info with my humble self. I've just returned from my last tuning, at about
9:00pm, so I haven't had a chance to check with the suggested experts or
verify that the supply houses actually HAVE the wire they list in their
catalogues, or learn anything beyond what your (helpful! useful!
considerate!) posts have given me. So...

     More questions-
On wire & sizes;
1. Schaff lists skinny steel music wire for harpsichord sizes. Anybody
ordered any lately??? Quality? Tone? Comments?
2. APSCO lists two varieties;
     A> "Brass Spring Wire- for harpsichords &..."
     B> "Steel Music Wire-Small Sizes" with suggested range for harpsichords
as well.

     Any preferance on brass or steel? I'm hoping that APSCO has the
brass.The only other instrument in the area, at the college, has a supply of
"high copper/brass wire" which the instructor swears by. Came with the
instrument, and he would rather not part with his precious supply. (But will
if needed, nice guy). I'd like to create a supply for the high-school's
instrument, and a supply of the needed plectrons/jacks, too.

    Look folks;
    I believe that I can easily get this critter up and running IF I get the
needed wire. The busted plectrons can be shifted to the extreme ends (a
couple are simply loose from the jack, and may survive re-glueing/pinning),
and the damper-felt can be flipped over, cut, or replaced in a reasonable
length of time. I will bang together two pieces of wood with angled braces
and cry out; "Voila! A music rack!". I will regulate the jacks for reliable
repetition.
It WILL work, by Ghu! (Perfection comes later...)

     Replacing the missing wire is the priority. If I get the thing up and
running for the concert (minus a note or two at the edges...) I will have
'carte blanche'  from a grateful music-staff to re-string, re-felt, regulate,
and repair at my leisure after the first of the year.
I'll build a respectable music rack, trimmed with brass hinges, that folds
away properly.
I'll repair the de-laminating plywood sides. (Crack!)
I'll re-build the leg-attachment points (which are wobbly! wobbly! wobbly!)
I'll completely re-string and re-felt and..... but this is LATER! Right now,
I just need to get a working instrument into their hands ASAP. (sigh)

The jacks do NOT have an adjustment screw to control plectron 'reach' towards
the strings, just the stop-lever that shifts the whole line. Fortunately,
they are in good alignment. Keeping in mind Jim's suggestion, here's an
attempt to show it to ya.
Side view from the treble end.

________
        I   I      F is damper felt folded in slot, <1/8" above plectron
I   I   I F I     > is plectron on spring-loaded tongue pinned in slot
I >I   I F I     O is round lead weight
I   I              L is adjustable post leading to key.
I__I   O        _ is pin at base of plectron tongue. Spring on back.
I   I
_______
                  It's a bit skinnier in real life. And the weight is a
teensy bit bigger. Single flat plastic plectron plucks a single string
(...actually resembles a flat triangle of REAL goose quill! But they are so
identical, must be plastic. Shoved/glued in tongue pinned in slot). It ain't
complex. All jacks/plectrons are identical. Is this a Zuckerman or a Hubbard?
Absolutely the smallest & cheapest whichever ever built in a garage over a
few weekends, perhaps. But it DOES play, and please the ear.
Oh... the pins are square, with becket-hole.

Comments? Additions? ID of company?

Thanks for your time,
Jeffrey T. Hickey, RPT
TunerJeff @ aol.com
Oregon Coast Piano Services
(541)756-7701

ps- Pitch?  (440? 435? 420? I'm figuring 440, there are strings and woods
playing with it.)
     Temperament? (Kirnberger acceptable to most? As simplest to train to
accompanist?)