Key lead pliars

Warren Fisher fish@communique.net
Tue, 10 Dec 1996 11:00:46 -0800

Wayne Yockey wrote:

> Greetings to all, I've finally quit lurking.
>
> Somewhere I saw an ad for some frightfully expensive pliars for
> squeezing key leads without removing the keys (or dampers or
> whatever).  Now that I have decided to cough up for them I can't
> remember who has them.
>
> Has anybody used these things?  Do they work well?  Can you squeeze
> damper lever leads or are the pliars too big?
>
> Thanks for your help.   I enjoy your list
>
> Wayne Yockey, RPT

Wayne, if you're doing this in the shop, you can use your drill press to
swedge leads into keys.  Tighten the collet fully closed, put one of the
leads on the table, then set the drill press stop so the collet descends
just a tad lower than the top of the lead (you may have to check several
to get an average height lead).  Next insert the lead into the key, line
up the lead under the collet and punch it.

If you are in the home, a pair of narrow jawed vise grips will do the
trick of re-swedging loose leads.

						Warren
--
Warren D. Fisher