I got one....

Stan Kroeker skroeker@MTS.Net
Tue, 10 Dec 1996 15:36:35 -0600

Dear Greg & Mary Ellen,

The symptoms you describe may be mutually exclusive.  First of all, this
late model Howard grand was likely among those made by Samick for Baldwin.
I believe the name has been discontinued in favor of the D.H. Baldwin
moniker.

You hit the nail on the head by attributing the volatile tuning
characteristics to the institutional airflow in the nursing home.  I dealt
with a similar situation with a Yamaha G1 grand which exhibited pitch
swings in excess of 50 cents (in the tenor) from season to season.  The
problem was effectively managed with a customized 100 watt Dampp Chaser
system.

As for the tight damper guide rail bushings, may I suggest you check the
damper underlever pinning?  During my tenure as national service manager
for Samick in Canada, we dealt with this problem regularly on several of
the Samick grand models.  At first glance the sluggishness would appear to
be caused by the guide rail bushings but further investigation usually
uncovered tight underlever centers.  It's hard to believe that these
centers, which travel through such a small arc, can cause such profound
sluggishness in the comparatively heavy damper.  Let us know how you fare!

Best regards to all from the snow covered Canadian prairie,

Stan Kroeker, RPT

Kroeker & Sons Piano Experts
59 Quiring
Winnipeg, Manitoba