Schweighofer - Sohnne

Robert S. Bussell rbussell@iquest.net
Wed, 11 Dec 1996 20:49 -0500 (EST)

List,

        I came across a Schweighofer-Sohnne 6 foot 6 inch piano(Three legs,
Partialy bent rim). Pierce Piano Atlas indicates that it was made in Vienna,
Austria.  There is no serial number on the plate but has cast in the plate
"model 7".  The piano has an unusual damper system and I assume an unusual
action (I did not pull the action). It has three bridges.
        Does anyone have additional information on this piano?  Is the
unusual damper system an indication of an early (historic) piano or is this
the Austrian version of a Brambach or Mathushek.
        It is a pretty case with candle stick holders in the check blocks.
I know the owner will ask me if it has any antique value. Since it is a
pre-1924 Austrian grand sitting in the middle of Indiana I guess it must
have some unique value to it.  It has very rusty stings (soundboard has no
cracks?) Action condition is unknown.  Any comments concerning restoration
of this piano?

Bob,

Robert S. Bussell   Registered Piano Technician P.T.G.
Indianapolis In.
rbussell@iquest.net