Reed Organs again

Warren Fisher fish@communique.net
Wed, 11 Dec 1996 23:38:39 -0800

Dennis Johnson wrote:

> I think that someone intentionally bent reeds in the past, and this must
> have been a tuning technique, but specifically, how?
>
>  Thanks for any help,
> you may want to respond privately.
>
> Dennis Johnson

Dennis,  I don't know of any place to get new reeds, but you can cut a
replacement out of sheet brass that's a tad thicker than what's in
there, then grind off the head of the rivet with a dremel tool and
hammer in a new rivet with a short piece of soft iron rod.  Once the new
reed is in place, you'll need a reed scraper to remove brass near the
vibrating end of the reed to lower the pitch and if you go too far put a
small drop of solder on the reed and start scraping again.  To save
yourself the trouble putting the reed in and out several times, make a
small box of thin plywood with a small hole on the top and a connection
to the shop-vac at the back.  Put a sliding cover over a second hole on
the side which you can adjust to defeat the suction of the vac enough to
make the reed play correctly.  After that it is just scrape and hold it
to the hole while you watch your electronic tuner. Don't use Stretch
mode. Set everything at zero.

Warren
--
Warren D. Fisher