Mysterious blocking notes

Thomas D. Seay III t.seay@mail.utexas.edu
Wed, 18 Dec 1996 18:32:27 -0600

>List,
>I've sent this twice in the past two days.  Hoping it will go through now.
>
>I have a customer with a S&S 'M' with an elusive, mysterious action problem.
>First some background:  It is serial number 490934 built in 1984.  The
>action is cloth bushed, except for a Teflon plug that holds the repetition
>spring in place.  It has those screws with the reduced and knurled bodies
>(just below the head) that sometimes break.  (This is irrelevant to the
>problem, but might help someone identify the action.)
>
>The complaint is that, on occasion, apparently at random, certain keys won't
>go down.  Or more precisely, they will go down but require an additional
>amount of force to start them.
<<TEXT DELETED>>
Regards,

>Aaron Bousel

Dear Aaron,

Try checking the butterfly spring in the balancier slot.  We have many
Steinways from that era at our school and have found instances of the
spring actually digging a "hole" in the slot and causing excessive friction
when the note is first played.

Good luck.

Tom Seay, RPT

Tom Seay