Mysterious blocking notes -Reply

Vince Mrykalo mrykalov@BYUGATE.byu.edu
Wed, 18 Dec 1996 17:58:35 -0700

Aaron Bousel wrote:
I have a customer with a S&S 'M' with an elusive, mysterious action
problem.
<snip>
The sensation I felt was as if someone had pushed a tri-chord damper
just a
bit down into the string and then tried to play the note, an initial
resistance, then it lets go.
<snip>
 You may
have noticed, as I did that it only seems to happen on the naturals.

Regards,
Aaron Bousel

The thing that strikes me is it may be the geometry of the wip
heel/capstan screw contact point not being "in line" with the line that
connects the wip center and key balance hole.  If that contact point does
not go through that imaginary line, there could be a lot of friction there to
overcome.
vince