Lest we forget

JIMRPT@aol.com JIMRPT@aol.com
Thu, 19 Dec 1996 10:48:51 -0500

ED;
 You forgot the 'L'.
Great story about the medal.
 In the mid sixities I was called to a older ladie's home to tune her piano,
so it would sound better and she could sell it for more money.
The story she told me was one that is thankfully less likely to be heard
today.  Her husband had been a 'real man' and took care of all the financial
dealings with the wife knowing absolutely nothing about their financial
condition.  The husband died and left the lady with nothing but the house and
a small amount of money in the bank.  She was selling off bits and pieces of
her household furnishings to make ends meet. She was selling the piano to pay
that years real estate taxes.
  As I was tuning the piano (an old upright) I decided to adjust the pedals.
When I opened the bottom up I saw three paper sacks, two large and one small.
In the small sack was several life insurance policies, five if I remember
correctly. One of the large sacks contained cash in large demoninations 100's
and 1,000's (they were in circulation back then). The third sack contained
stock certfifcates and bonds.
  I closed the bottom back up found the lady and asked her to come into the
room where the piano was, showed her what I had found and supported her to a
chair. "I just knew he would not leave me with nothing" she said over and
over.
  No, it was not at Christmas time but the rewards over the years  from that
incident have been great indeed. I don't know how much was involved in those
sacks but I do know that the lady never had to worry about selling her piano.
  And then there was the cigarette lighter that played "DIXIE", but that's
another story.
Merry Christmas All.
Jim Bryant (FL)