rebuild and replace?

A440A@aol.com A440A@aol.com
Thu, 19 Dec 1996 10:56:44 -0500

Greetings;

Gordon writes;

> Six of the grands are Steinways, and they are
>all pretty well worn out.  The first project is rebuilding or replacing the
>S&S L in the piano prof. studio.

     I think one real beauty of a Steinway grand is that they cannot easily
be worn out.   This results from not only careful design and construction,
 but to the economics of rebuilding/replacing.

     If the school already owns the piano,  and is committed to having a
Steinway,  then replacement of the action, and soundboard, will cost less
than half of a new one.  Customers trust the factory warranty that comes from
S&S Restoration,( I assume they are still offering that!)  and if there is a
local person with a lot of experience in rebuilding Steinway actions for
professional use,  it may be wise for them to do the action, and its fitting
to the returned piano.
      That way,  as the action begins its initial settling, he/she will be
there to keep it playable until it is settled in, and then regulate it right
up to it's limit.

good luck,  Steinways are always worth rebuilding

Ed Foote
Precision Piano Works
Nashville, Tn