Mysterious blocking notes

DougHersh@aol.com DougHersh@aol.com
Fri, 20 Dec 1996 16:47:08 -0500

<< The sensation I felt was as if someone had pushed a tri-chord damper just
 bit down into the string and then tried to play the note, an initial
 resistance, then it lets go.  I don't think that it has anything to do with
 the dampers, that's just a good description of what it feels like.  You may
 have noticed, as I did that it only seems to happen on the naturals.  I
 checked out the keyboard and everything looks fine, keys moving as they
 should, not chucking.

 Has anyone ever come across this before?  I would sure be great to be able
 to come back to this guy with something concrete.  Thanking you all in
advance.

 Regards,

 Aaron Bousel
 Ormstown, QC  Canada
 abousel@rocler.qc.ca

 From owner-pianotech@byu.edu  Wed Dec 18 18:46:55 199 >>

Dear Aaron,
   It sounds to me like you could have backchecks that are too close on
certain notes and they are scrubbing the hammer tail on the way up. You did
not say whether it happened on a hard blow or not. It very well could be that
it only happens on the naturals especially if the keydip on the sharps is
different from that of the naturals. To see if this is what is causing the
problem, slide the action out  and hold the top of the hammer with a slight
pressure and rock the key up and down. I would also carefully check the
keydip. I hope this helps.
Doug Hershberger, RPT
I was formerly DBHersh