Strip muting, which way?

Warren Fisher fish@communique.net
Sat, 21 Dec 1996 21:26:09 -0800

List,

Of those I know who strip-mute the entire piano before tuning, all start
at the second doubleton and proceed to their right up to note 88.  For a
right-handed person this seems awkward to me.  You're continuosly
reaching around your inserting hand to pull more mute toward the work
area and you don't have any control over the loose end of the felt.

I'll probably be stepping in a "sacred cow patty" with this one, but
doesn't it make more sense to start at note 88 and go to the left?  You
control the felt with your left hand, holding a little back pull as you
insert the felt(or leather)?  The maneuver is very similar to Bill
Spurlock's two-caul keybushing process.  It makes very small uniform
loops that are real handy to slip behind those damper felts in some
Yamaha uprights that can't be pulled back far enough to clear. Besides
why use four strips when three will do?
---
Warren D. Fisher
fish@communique.net