Seasons Greetings and Sports

Wippen@aol.com Wippen@aol.com
Sun, 22 Dec 1996 12:55:56 -0500

Season Greetings to all on the list,

Except for a recent few veiled references to ASU and Florida St. , there does
not appear to be too much interest among our CAUT'S in college football.

Not so in Huntington WV, home of Marshall University, home of the Thundering
Herd. (MY Alma Mater.....MY Employer)

Yesterday, Saturday December 21, 1996, Marshall's Thundering Herd whipped the
Grizzley's from Montana for the 1996 National Championship in I-AA football.

The final score was 49-29. (Really, it was a lot worse than that, the Griz
scored twice in the 4th quarter against our third unit). It was a GREAT game
and sweet revenge after Montana beat us last year in the Championship game.
(a come from behind, last minute field goal:(
Montana has a super, talented team, but this years version of the Thundering
Herd is probably the BEST I-AA team to ever exist.  15-0 this season. A 23-6
 play-off record since 1987. Champions twice, second place 4 times...... the
team of the 90's.

Sadly, this is the last year that Marshall will be able to be National
Champs. We're making the jump to I-A , where they don't have a play-off
system for choosing national champs. Just Bowl games. Ah well!

So listen, all you Big Ten, Pac Ten ,MAC, Big East, all of the I-A schools,
listen carefully. That low pitched roar you hear in the distance is the
hooves of the Herd. And they're coming after YOU. :-)

Thanks to all for indulging an AVID Herd fan ( I bleed green) and the best
wishes to all for a Happiest of Holidays.

Paul Dempsey
Marshall University
Huntington WV.
wippen@aol.com