fightin' words

Maxpiano@aol.com Maxpiano@aol.com
Fri, 27 Dec 1996 20:43:12 -0500

Ben and list -

I learned to tune using two wedges (plus a tuning fork and tuning hammer) and
can still do so, though I like the convenience of a temperament strip now, to
adjust the bearing intervals without having to reset the unisons.  One of my
mentors during those early years tuned with just one wedge, and his boss (the
S&S dealer in Providence, R.I.) claimed he was "the best tuner that ever
walked the face of this earth!"

Somehow, I feel carrying enough muting strips to mute every note in the piano
would use up space in my kit that could better be saved for something
productive.

Bill Maxim, RPT