Ho, Ho, Ho..o..o..old the snow!

AKarab@aol.com AKarab@aol.com
Sat, 28 Dec 1996 00:16:28 -0500

My, my, my, do we have snow in Seattle!   A foot by our house and a second
storm predicted for tomorrow night.  Please appreciate that I know how
ridiculous it may seem to comment on a foot of snow to those of you living in
the midwest or along the east coast.  But it is very unusual, especially at
our 400 foot altitude on this westward, Puget-Sound-warmed hill.  It rarely
snows below 500 feet in Seattle anyway.  Twice a year maybe, and usually only
2-6 inches, these last few years.
Moreover, the "fleet" of city plows is puny, and after 24 hours only the most
incomprehensibly selected intersections have been sanded.  Salt is not used.

Getting to jobs made yesterday's short workday into a very very long and
scary day as I spent most of my time in the car clutching the wheel, plotting
travel routes that would circumvent inclines (try it, you'll see how tricky
that is here) and passing deserted, disabled vehicles, jacknifed semi's and
double busses strewn at random angles in the neighborhoods as often as in the
middle of freeway lanes.

Fortunately, I was able to collect my goods (action parts) and tote them home
to the shop where I worked today.  But tomorrow, they are supposed to go back
to their pianos again.  I know at least 1 piano and 2 children that might
have an extra 2 snow days from practicing!

Much love and Merries of the Season--no I didn't make a snow person, but I
went out toodling on skis.

Audrey Karabinus,  Seattle