Windows-based Tuning Program

FirTree@aol.com FirTree@aol.com
Mon, 30 Dec 1996 01:56:09 -0500

The Mac was built based on the Motorola 68000 chip, which was designed from
the ground up to deal with sound and graphics. IBM compatibles were based on
Intel 8088 (and following chips) which are designed as number crunchers. Mac
design was multimedia from the get-go, Intel machines have been driven there
by the market.

There are now very few PCs, even laptops, that do not come with full
multimedia accoutrements. [Multimedia means sound, certain video
requirements, and usually a CD-ROM drive.] Dean has had more experience, I
gather, programming Macs, and so chose them for the platform for some rather
amazing whiz-bangs.

Had I spoken with him before he began, I would have pleaded with him to do it
IBM compatible. A harder job because of fluctuating standards, but I ain't
gonna buy a Mac. And Apple's share of the market has dropped below 8%, last I
heard.

I'm a little torn by my predeliction for Windows/Intel machines, at the same
time having a huge load of respect for anyone who would alone tackle such a
huge and risky job. Dean, you did a whale of a job. And I don't blame you for
not starting over again, missing family and paying work on pianos. Reality
is, I'm not likely to change from using a fork. And if I did, it would have
to be real reasonable. And to be on a Mac, it would have to be darn cheap.

Dave Stocker, RPT
Firtree@aol.com
Tumwater, WA

<<
 Someone tell me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the mac come with a chip that
 naturally can read a=440? isn't that the main reason that it isn't
 available on the PC? because some pc's have it and some don't?  Please
 correct me if I'm wrong, seems how I run on IBM, I'd like to know if it
 can be done...

 Jonathan Finger
 Niwot Colorado