Soundboard installations

Brent.Fischer@asu.edu Brent.Fischer@asu.edu
Mon, 30 Dec 1996 09:27:12 -0700

Dear Frank and List:

   Washburn Piano Company in Phoenix, Az. is the area Steinway dealership
which has just received a completed  model "A" from New York and after
servicing the instrument I can assure you that sending the piano
to them for soundboard work will be in your best interests. The overall
sound of this piano can be easily described as powerful and resonant. I
would expect similiar results from yours.

   If you have an extensive woodworking background and shop then it
sounds like time to jump into this yourself. I only urge you to follow
Steinway procedures if you want the Steinway sound. For example, some shops
crown their ribs and use sitka spruce for the ribs as well. Not good.
I have had no personal experience with kits although I have heard
of positive results from several technicians. However, I  prefer to control
the restoration process from beginning to end. I think when you are in
control of the installation you can set your own quality standards.

  For example, the exactness of the string termination points is critical
in achieving clarity and pureness. As great a job as Steinway does in
the soundboard process I know that my own bridge notching is even
more exact. It just takes twice as long. Frankly, the Hamburg Steinway
factory is the standard by which I compare my own work and I hope
and expect to see smaller differences between New York and Hamburg in the
near future when it comes to the finer details.

  The investment of a factory job in terms of value is important but
of greater concern is the fact that you do receive a factory warranty.
If you chose to install a kit such as from Benvenuto or someone else
and the board to rim glue joint loosens or fails in some way in a
couple of years who do you think bears the liability? You do.

  As a consultant for the Steinway dealer in Phoenix we have much to lose
if Steinway sends us less than a quality rebuilding job. Again, the
results I have seen and heard are excellent and I would encourage you
to ship the piano to them.

Sincerely,

Brent.Fischer@ASU.EDU
Arizona State University/Tempe