wood ply separation

Glenn Grafton gleng@fast.net
Tue, 31 Dec 1996 16:02:26 -0500

>I have a client who has a Kimball grand/high gloss finish whose plys of wood
>that make up top cover of piano has separated approx. 12 " in each direction
>from one corner.  (This is the part of the piano that covers music desk,
>tuning pins, etc.)  'Any suggestions as to kind of glue, clamping, etc. for
>repair?
>
>Thanks ahead!!  Ashley (gaj@vnet.net)

First off I'd check to see if the piano is covered under warranty.
Call George Harrison at Kimball 800-422-1611

Some of the Kimballs had a 15 year warranty, and the company has been very
good at covering repairs.

If your'e going to tackle this kind of repair there are 2 issues:

- The structural part. I had a similar repair on a Kimball grand key cover,
also with a oplished ebony finish. I used Ed Dryberg's glues and clamped
it. It worked well in that the adhesive "wicked" it's way into the crack,
in a way that wouln't have been possible with epoxy.

- The other issue is the finish part. You really have to have a stable
repair of the structure before you tackle the finish. Allied National
Industries makes a very good kit for polyester repairs. You also need to
have a special buffing machine at the right RPM, etc. Getting the materials
and tools is sort of like when someone buys a tuning hammer, fork and mutes
and thinks there all set to tune their piano--having the right tools is
only part of the battle, you also need the experience, and it's totally
different than repairing lacquer. If it's the only repair you're going to
do I'd recommend finding out who in the area is qualified to do polyester
repairs. Check with some of the piano stores that sell new polished ebony
pianos who they use. We do it ourselves in house.

Hope this is of some help.

Glenn Grafton
Grafton Piano & Organ Co.