RAIL PIN REMOVAL/REPLACEMENT

Frederick G Scoles scoles@oswego.edu
Tue, 31 Dec 1996 17:17:09 -0500 (EST)

Dick,

Another method that can also work well to install the new front or
balance rail pins is a bench-mounted (hand operated) arbor press; the
type with the arm which you move up and down to press the pins into
place.  Be sure to control the installation depth.  As far as I have
heard, it is never proper to pound the pins in with a hammer as that can
mushroom the pin tops and make a loose fit in the wood.  Sometimes the
new pins are a little smaller diameter (about 0.0001" difference) than
the originals.  To give the new pins a tighter fit in the rail, simply
steam the open holes in the rail after removal of the old pins.  Then
allow the rail to settle for several days before installing the new
pins.  The steaming should take no more than 5 minutes per rail.

For old pins that are difficult to remove, I have clamped a vise grip or
small c-clamp to the top of the old pin; then used the upright hammer
remover tool between the rail and the c-clamp.  This works for me as it
removes the toughest pins easily without any chance of placing side
stress on the wood. One could easily motorize the upright hammer remover
by attaching a small variable speed drill, power screwdriver, or Foredom
with flex shaft to the screw shaft on the upright hammer tool.  This might
save the hands and speed things up.

Fred Scoles, RPT