Pin Dope AND Hot Stuff AND Dampp-Chasers

Robert S. Bussell rbussell@iquest.net
Wed, 31 Jan 1996 22:47 -0500 (EST)

At 04:31 PM 1/31/96 -0700, you wrote:

>>Just a report on how well the Hot Stuff works, I had small grand in my shop
>and did the super glue  job on it.  Actually I put some on top and let it
>soak around the pins and then I turned the piano upside down and soaked some
>in form the bottom of the pin block.  A few days later the pins were very
>tight and felt real good.  I saw the piano about 3 years  and 3 tunings
>later and the pins had come loose.  Based on this experience I don't know if
>this would be a repair that I would recommend.
>
>Any others with this area of experience.
>
>Mike Swendsen
>swendsec@cadvision.com

Three Years!!!! WOW!

This is an in the field repair to buy time until the piano can be rebuilt or
replaced.  I would not expect to be maintaining a piano in this condition
for this long.  Nor would I expect or DESIRE to be tuning a doped piano for
three years either. I have never used pin dope myself and obviously I don't
carry it with me in the car.  Also, I have never liked the results I have
seen (or felt) in pianos that were doped.  I do carry CA glue and find that
in the right situations It can get me through a tuning and last six months
or even over a year until a lasting solution can be budgeted.
Robert S. Bussell RPT
Indianapolis In.
rbussell@iquest.net