Steinway medium rare?

L. Davidson Lamoreaux 102555.33@compuserve.com
Wed, 31 Jan 1996 22:59:07 -0500 (EST)

To Benjamin Treuhaft,
 You asked about an interesting piano you described. Given the age and that it
is an upright I think that it is safe to say it is prob. fairly rare. Steinway
didn't make that many uprights at that time. If you look in Larry Fine's THE
PIANO BOOK, you will see that this piano you describe is one of the very first
upright pianos that Steinway made. Before you do much - even before you clean it
you might want to contact a museum or two about the interest in such an
instrument. The less you mess with it the more value it has for collector
purposes and the more of its history you save.  I do some work at Smithsonian.
If you would like to check with them, call them at #202-357-1707 and ask to talk
with someone about an 1862 Steinway upright you have and that David Lamoreaux
sent you to them.  Good luck with this.  David Lamoreaux, RPT  Washington DC
Chapter, PTG.  PS. I tried to send this message to you directly but compuserve
is balking at something and disconnects instead of sending it on.