Instrument condition

bobelue@hiwaay.net bobelue@hiwaay.net
Tue, 13 Feb 1996 10:48:55 -0600

A novice here with some questions about pianos that are 50-100 cents +/-
down in pitch.

(1)  When a decent piano is way down, I'm hesitant to pull it to pitch with
one tuning.  When I raise a piano, it drifts so that I don't seem to get a
good tuning (even with good tuning blows) if I try to P/R and tune in one
call.  I assume this is normal.  I tell the customer it needs a pitch raise,
but the customer frequently does not want to pay for a P/R plus a tuning.
So I tune as is, feeling I've not done right by the piano, nor the customer.
Am I right or wrong to do so?  Advice?

(2)  I'm hesitant to P/R more than 50 cents at a time.  Am I being too
wimpy?  I guess I feel I'm making the customers feel I'm trying to milk them
of their dough by recommending at least two pitch raises before tuning.
Thoughts?

(3)  On an old piano, way down in pitch, I'm hesitant to even raise, fearful
of string breakage.  Is it considered good practice to just tune where is on
such instruments?  Or should I be brave and raise, if the customer OKs?

Bobby Belue