Novice replacing strings.

bobelue@hiwaay.net bobelue@hiwaay.net
Tue, 13 Feb 1996 10:48:53 -0600

>Hello.
>My question: There are several broken strings, all in 3rd-5th octaves. I
>bought correct string from Beethoven supply last week. I can follow the
>Reblitz directions up to a point and then I make a mess --- once I place
>end of the string into the tuning pin, I have a miserable time making the
>3 neat turns needed. (I am turning the pins out 3 turns first as I am
>supposed to.) Reblitz describes a lot of things very carefully, but not
>this. I simply measured the 3 inches which will be wound onto the pin, cut
>the string, place the string end into the pin and turned. The wire simply
>doesn't wind neatly. What am I missing? Will practice make perfect?
>
>Please respond to me at msk@unipress.com. I do not wish to waste list
>bandwidth with a lot of answers to this novice question.
>
>Thank you,
>
>Mark
>
>_______________________________________
>Mark Krieger
>UniPress Software     http://www.unipress.com
>msk@unipress.com      (908)287-2100 x937
>

>Mark...IMHO (a novice here, too), it is easier to make the coil off the pin
and then place the coil on the pin in the block and pull it up.  Only about
3/4 to 1 turn out to do this rather than the 3 you would use doing it as
you're evidently doing.  A string hook, or coil tool is almost necessary,
IMHO, to make a neat coil to keep the coil tight as you turn it onto the
pin.  Then there is the problem of the coil wanting to turn over
itself...frustrating and time-consuming but with the proper tools, it can be
done.

Regards...Bobby