Repin or Reblock?

EHILBERT@midd.middlebury.edu EHILBERT@midd.middlebury.edu
Wed, 14 Feb 1996 00:05:50 -0500 (EST)

Les,
      You indicate that this Steinway was rebuilt (refurbished?) about
20 years ago and that it was a beautiful job.  It's always nice to follow
someone who has done nice work, isn't it?  You didn't say how old the piano
is, but since the last person used 4/0 pins I will presume that the piano
 still has its original pinblock.  If so, then that block is probably at least
60 years old.  You should want your work to last at least 40 more years from
now, I would think.  That's not likely to happen if you try to reuse a 60 year
old block that is obviously failing now.
      Money's no problem and your reputation is on the line.  I would
suggest replacing the block and saving your peace of mind and reputation.
Besides, if the piano needs no other work, youv'e only added a few more days
work to the job to do it right.  Best of luck.
Ed Hilbert, RPT
Vermont Chapter