Help, URGENT!

Keith A. McGavern kam544@ionet.net
Tue, 13 Feb 1996 23:47:09 -0600

>I have just encountered my first piano with a cracked plate.  My
>questions are 1) just how dangerous is this (the piano is still under
>tenstion...
>but has not been tuned for awhile or has not been able to hold
>pitch)
>2) what should I do...

Laurence,
I take it you have no knowledge of the last attempted tuning on the piano
or whether the crack is actually the reason for its inability to hold a
tune?  So, if you want to feel completely safe on this matter, lower the
pitch considerably until you and the customer decide a course of action.
FYI: I have tuned pianos with small cracks in the plate, and they are still
in use and holding.

>3) is there any viable repair...

There have been articles in the past of sucessfully repairing plates.

>4) the piano is a Schnabel, so is it at all reasonable to search for a
>replacement plate?

Don't know the name Schnabel, so I can't help you there.

>I have heard of pianos exploding in the past, so I locked up the cabinate
>so that no one will be encouraged to play it, and set off any unfortunate
>accidents.

That was an considerate thing to do for now, Laurence.

>...However, the exploding part is frightening.

The reference to this phenomina, I believe, is when a significant crack
actually occurs while you are there on location.  Like a rifle shot is how
the late Danny Boone described his experience to me.  Definitely caught his
attention!

Keith A. McGavern, RPT
kam544@ionet.net
Oklahoma Baptist University