worn back checks

Dennis Johnson johnsond@stolaf.edu
Fri, 16 Feb 1996 12:09:31 -0600

I probably should clarify that the Steinway backcheck installation tool
does not have a built-in height adj. All it is is a piece of hardwood
slotted out to hold the backcheck with leather glued to the end of the
slot. You can easily modify it for higher height settings by holding a
hardwood shim of proper thickness to the top of the key, behind the hole,
against the wire as you drive it in (with a reasonably small hammer). For
lower height setting add more leather to the stop inside the slot.

Those thin maple spacers that come in the boxes with Renner shanks sure
come in handy sometimes. I wish Steinway would leave them in when they
repack Renner shanks into their own boxes.

Dennis Johnson
St. Olaf College
johnsond@stolaf.edu
djohn@skypoint.com