Hamilton cracked plate

Daniel Dover Daniel.Dover@Dartmouth.EDU
Tue, 20 Feb 1996 08:58:59 -0500 (EST)

Doug Herschberger wrote:
 I once worked for the Los Angeles School district and went to tune your
basic Hamilton Studio. Before I started tuning I was just starting to play
the piano and depressed the damper pedal and heard a very unusual clunking
type noise and could almost feel something in the pedal but looking down on
top of the dampers I couldn't see anything so I pulled the action and saw a
crack in the plate strut between the high tenor and low treble. The strut was
bowing out enough to make the damper lifter rod hit the plate where there is
a break between the dampers.
--------------------------------------

Doug,

Two months ago I had a customer's plate crack on a Hamilton studio, in about
the same place, just below the nose bolt, displaced upwards.  This piano is
thirty years old, otherwise in excellent condition.  This is the first time (in
eight years) I have encountered a cracked plate in the course of tuning.

Out of curiosity, how old (approx) was the piano you encountered?

Has anybody else had this experience with Hamilton studios?  If so, how old was
the piano?  Where was the break?

Danny Dover, RPT
Dartmouth College, Hanover, NH