Shop space requirements

McNeilTom@aol.com McNeilTom@aol.com
Tue, 20 Feb 1996 09:17:02 -0500

(I accidentally deleted the original posting; I know not to whom I am
replying.)

Shop space requirements is a topic we gave short shrift in the Guidelines for
Effective Institutional Piano Maintenance.  It's something that bears
attention in any revision of that document.

I have given the matter considerable thought.  Also, I have set up six, soon
to be seven, shops over the years, some involving new construction, some not.
 Everything from one-person shop to twelve-person.  I have concluded that a
very rough rule of thumb is that there should be at least 500 square feet for
each technician or 500 square feet per piano project in progress, whichever
is greater.  In the institutional setting there are other considerations: Do
you have a separate space that you can use as an office, away from the noise
and dirt?  Do you have storage space for parts, pianos awaiting attention,
and bulky seldom-used equipment?  Do you have access to a machine shop?  A
woodworking shop?  A refinishing shop?

The wider range of work undertaken, the more space is needed.  And more is
always better.

It is interesting to see how others "get by".  The variations are many.
 Perhaps just as important as the quantity of space, is the quality of it.
 Sambel has given classes on the topic and his handout is worth getting.

- Tom McNeil -
Vermont Piano Restorations