Milky Satin Finish

edwardsn edwardsn@www.rpa.net
Sat, 24 Feb 1996 07:12:20 -0500

Matt:
        I have done some servicing for the local Young Chang Dealer here in
Rochester, NY over the past three years.  One customer had a walnut G-150
with the same problem you describe.  The last I heard Young Chang was going
to replace the instrument they ae very good about about standing behind
their product when there is a problem.  Give then a call at 1-800-421-9846.
I wouldn't mention anything about the steel wool though, unless they ask you
what you did, it might void the warranty.

At 07:22 AM 2/23/96 -0700, you wrote:
>Hi, Matt.  Maybe I'm missing something here, but gift or not, if this is
>a brand new instrument, with an obvious defect in the finish, why haven't
>you brought the problem to the attention of Y-C and the dealer who sold
>it? It would seem that the problem should be covered under the terms of
>Y-C's warrantee. If so, the less you do right now the better. Why make
>Y-C's problem, your problem?
>
>Les Smith
>lessmith@buffnet.net
>

>On Fri, 23 Feb 1996, Matthew Doudt wrote:
>
>> I'm looking for some finish help.  I have a customer who received a Young
>> Chang G-157 with a satin walnut finish as a gift.  The piano is brand new
>> and the finish has a milky white haze to it.  The owner in a professional
>> furniture builder and called me immediately to see if there was anything he
>> could rub it out with to get rid of the haze.  I'm a technician and not a
>> finish expert so I ask several people and got several different answers.
>>
>> One person said it happens during the curing process and is in the finish
>> and not fixable without re-finishing the piano.  Someone else thought there
>> may have been a residue on the finish that clashed with Windex (what the
>> dealer uses to clean pianos) and caused this kind of reaction.  One other
>> person said he'd seen it before and saw someone successfully rub the
piano out.

>> I tried a little rubbing with steel wool to no avail and also tried some of
>> Yamaha's new satin finish polish which made it look better but didn't get
>> rid of the milky haze.
>>
>> I'm wondering is this a true defect in the finish and should the piano be
>> replaced or could a professional finish person return the piano to its
>> proper look.  I've seen many other YC satin finishes and never seen one this
>> bad.
>>
>> Any help would be appreciated!
>>
>> Matthew Doudt
>> Indianapolis, IN