Tuning Hammer Tips

Kenneth W. Burton kwburton@freenet.calgary.ab.ca
Tue, 27 Feb 1996 05:55:40 -0700 (MST)

On Sat, 24 Feb 1996 A440A@aol.com wrote:

> Sy Zabrocki writes;
>

> Tuning hammer tips wear out after a couple years or so.
>
>     I don't know what kind of tips are sold today, because I am still using
> the same one I began with 20 years ago.
>     It is stamped "Joe Kulichek-  Chicago", and   It was   old  when  given
> to me, (friends father had died, I got some tools from him to "start school
> with".
>       This tip has tuned many thousands of pianos, and still fits and feels
> great, though only on 2/0 and 3/0 pins.
>
>        I found it was easier to carry the extra needed tips on their own
> heads, since it is so much easier unscrewing  and screwing the  head,  than
> getting out the tip wrench and having a micro wrestling match the tuning
> hammer.
>
> regards,
> Ed Foote
> Precision Piano Works
> Nashville, Tn.

      Friends,

      I have had similar experiences with tuning heads and tips. Some
years ago, I purchased Hale extra short heads with 5, 10, 15 and 20
degree angles and fitted them with #2 or #3 tips. They still feel tight
and work well.

      I find that tuning pins vary so much, it works better if I try
different sizes and angles on each one to find the one that feels most
comfortable and fits the best.

      I also enjoy the Schaaf Mini extendable hammer. I have fitted it
with an adaptation of Charley Huether's Wonder Wand. It is modelled after
the gear shift lever handle on my Toyota Camry. What comfort and control
when tuning uprights! (Not so helpful on grands.)

      Ken Burton
      "Doctor Piano"
     Calgary, Alberta