Back Issues On Line / CD

tryrpt@ix.netcom.com tryrpt@ix.netcom.com
Mon, 01 Jan 1996 07:52:00 -0600

Dear Randy Potter and other interested pianotech members-

As for the PT Journal on CD-ROM, I would say, from some research
that I've done that it wouldn't be as expensive as many think
either. First, the cost of desktop CD-ROM recorders is dropping all
of the time, and with the current hardware/software available,
CD-ROMS could be produced even one at a time, so it could be updated
frequently. I am a VERY strong supporter of the Journal on CD-ROM,
as I have frequently run into technical articles that say "for more
info, see my previous article of March, 1898"- for newer PTG
members, like myself (Jan 1992) back-issues from before we joined
simply, in most cases, are not available from PTG home office, (I
only got about one fifth of the back-issues I ordered the only time
I tried to get back issues.
As for other avenues of getting the Journal info, like reprint kits,
then I am locked into what someone else has determined to be the
most pertinent articles about a certain subject.
     I also think that the entire Journal should be on CD-ROM, ads,
politics and all from the day PTG was formed to the present, for the
simple idea that in addition to reviewing technical info, I would
very much like to have a better appreciation for the history of PTG
and piano service.
     I have also heard the comment that I could either buy Journals
from "estates" or retiring technicians, and I will continue to
pursue that avenue until the CD-ROM is available, but that is
certainly not practical for the many other newer PTG members who
want to have access to Journal info prior to the date they joined
PTG. And, Journals on paper afford me no computerized search
capabilities.
      Another impractical way is to "check out" Journals from the
local chapter library. Well, I don't think my chapter has a complete
set, and anyway, my chapter is spread out over parts of three
states. The other two closest chapters are at least 150-200 miles
away, so it is not convenient for casual research.
      And of course, there is the precedent of other organizations
publishing on CD-ROM, like the New England Journal of Medicine,
publishing their journal of medicine on CD-ROM, and the largest
national ham radio organization, the American Radio Relay League's
ham radio journal/tech publication, "QST" is published on
microfiche, every issue, every page going back to 1914!!
      Of course CD-ROM would be much preferred over microfiche, as
CD-ROM has infinetely greater search/locate features using a
computer, which according to the 1993 PTG membership survey at least
50% of the PTG membership (and I suspect even larger percentage now,
looking at the large number of subscribers to pianotech) have a
computer in either their home or shop.
     I suspect that someday it might even be cheaper to publish and
distribute new issues of the Journal on CD-ROM each month rather
than on paper. I know I have read that for software publishers, if a
program comes on 15 or more 3.5" floppies, it's cheaper to
distribute on CD-ROM. And think of the paper we would save as well
as the trees.
      Well, I will get off my soapbox for now, and my thanks to the
list for letting me pursue my opinions on this forum (for the first
time, BTW.)

Thomas R. Young,RPT
tryrpt@ix.netcom.com
University of Wisconsin-Superior