Re Damper Weight

Dennis Johnson johnsond@stolaf.edu
Wed, 03 Jan 1996 10:02:56 -0600

At  2:09 PM 1/2/96 -0700, Kenneth Sloane wrote:
>Prior to 1930, all grand actions used underlever springs from notes 1 thru 54
>on models SML, 1-51 on model B, and 1-53 on model D. After 1930 until about
>1944, springs were completely discontinued on all styles.
>
>After 1944, light, "helper" springs were used on all B's and D's on notes
>1-28; no springs on SML models except for some experimental pianos.
>
>Around 1962, there were various pianos made with different combinations of
>leads and springs as experiments continued.
>
>After early 1980's, all springs were eliminated from all models.

________________________

Thanks, very interesting.

Does anyone have some comments or experience to share regarding the
installation of new Renner backaction damper kits? I am about to start my
first install and would welcome any additional advice. It is curious to me
that the new levers are weighted with leads very similarly to what we see
on later model Steinways, and also include springs which are "optional".
Does this mean that Renner USA agrees with the modern weighted design?  Has
anyone else confirmed that the longer arms make a noticable improvement
while playing?  I have seen enough chewed up key end felt to take this
seriously, and I don't buy an argument that momentum of the key will
forgive problems. Not that anyone really takes damper geometry for granted,
but this element has been noticably absent from our previous  discussions
about geometry.

Arise, all ye damper heads!

Dennis Johnson
St. Olaf College