A good power screwdriver -Reply

David Graham U40DCG1@WPO.CSO.NIU.EDU
Wed, 03 Jan 1996 08:23:59 -0600

I love my Milwaukee screwdriver.  The battery holds a charge for
several days if I don't use it too much, and it saves time as well as wear
and tear on the wrist.  I replaced the entire action in fifteen Steinways
this summer (counting both University and Private work).  Midway
through removing the parts from the first action, my wrist began to hurt.I
then purchased the Milwaukee.  It has several advantages over the
Black and Decker: 1 hour recharge, adjustable clutch settings,pistol grip
AND straight grip (it is hinged in the middle),and optional drill chuck so
you can use regulating tolls in it-for example, to remove letoff buttons.A
final nice feature is that the blade locks when you release the trigger, so
you can use it to make fine screw adjustments easily.  I use the REMGRIT
screwdriver blades in it and recommend it highly.
BTW,I timed the removal and reinstallation of the action parts by hand vs
the Milwaukee and I saved over a half hour with the Milwaukee. I taught
a master class this summer for our PTG chapter on Steinway action
replacement and all three guys loved the Milwaukee,incl. the one who
brought his B&D.  It should cost about $100 with the chuck.
                                                     David Graham
                                                    dgraham@niu.edu