Fazioli pianos

Rick.Florence@ASU.Edu Rick.Florence@ASU.Edu
Wed, 03 Jan 1996 11:57:04 -0700

>>Yes, well over $100,000.00 US.
>
>There was a photo of one on the cover of the October '95 PTJournal... the
>description in the sidebar on page five states the 10 foot 2 inch instrument
>weighs in at 1650 pounds and carries a price tag of  $147,000 US!
>
>>Much too much.
>
>Too much for that particular instrument or too much for a piano?
>
>It would be what I call a "sea-level piano". They (SLPs) probably do quite
>well under the right conditions but at nearly four thousand feet with
>temperatures swinging back and forth from down to -40 up to +16 C in the
>winter (the traditional time for concerts) they take a great deal of work to
>maintain - if they can be maintained at all. Many "imported" pianos seem to
>fall into this category under these conditions.
>

>John Musselwhite, RPT               Calgary, Alberta Canada
>musselj@cadvision.com                  Season's Greetings!

John,

I'm really not sure what you mean by a "sea-level piano."  Are you
suggesting that because Calgary is at 4000 ft. and gets cold, that an
imported piano will not hold up as well as a domestic piano?

Steinway (New York) is manufactured at sea level.  Fazioli is manufactured
in Sacile, Italy - a town north of Venice approaching the Alps ie. a much
higher altitude and much colder.  According to your logic the Fazioli would
be the better choice for conditions in Calgary.

I don't think that such a blanket statement about imported pianos shows
much thought.  I wouldn't touch some imported pianos with a ten foot tuning
hammer.  Others, like the Fazioli are wonderful instruments that are built
solidly and do hold up under extreem conditions - at least as well as any
piano can.  I understand that you don't like the price tag, neither do I,
but for some price is not an issue.

----
Rick Florence, Piano Technician
 Arizona State University School of Music
 Rick.Florence@ASU.Edu