Re Damper Weight

Horace Greeley horace@compadept.com
Wed, 03 Jan 1996 11:16:31 -0800

At 09:03 AM 1/3/96 -0700, you wrote:
>At  2:09 PM 1/2/96 -0700, Kenneth Sloane wrote:
>>Prior to 1930, all grand actions used underlever springs from notes 1 thru 54
>>on models SML, 1-51 on model B, and 1-53 on model D. After 1930 until about
>>1944, springs were completely discontinued on all styles.
>>
>>After 1944, light, "helper" springs were used on all B's and D's on notes
>>1-28; no springs on SML models except for some experimental pianos.
>>
>>Around 1962, there were various pianos made with different combinations of
>>leads and springs as experiments continued.
>>
>>After early 1980's, all springs were eliminated from all models.
>>
>________________________
>
>Thanks, very interesting.
>
>Does anyone have some comments or experience to share regarding the
>installation of new Renner backaction damper kits? I am about to start my
>first install and would welcome any additional advice. It is curious to me
>that the new levers are weighted with leads very similarly to what we see
>on later model Steinways, and also include springs which are "optional".
>Does this mean that Renner USA agrees with the modern weighted design?  Has
>anyone else confirmed that the longer arms make a noticable improvement
>while playing?  I have seen enough chewed up key end felt to take this
>seriously, and I don't buy an argument that momentum of the key will
>forgive problems. Not that anyone really takes damper geometry for granted,
>but this element has been noticably absent from our previous  discussions
>about geometry.
>

>Arise, all ye damper heads!
>
>Dennis Johnson
>St. Olaf College
>johnsond@stolaf.edu
>djohn@skypoint.com

ALL,

To anyone contemplating this installation - BE SURE to get the complete
installation guide available from Lloyd Meyer @ Renner, USA.  Do not pass
go.  Do not collect $200.  Do not move ahead one square without fully
reading and comprehending it first.

Either that, or call someone who has successfully completed several of these
installations first...

Best,

Horace

Horace Greeley, RPT