PTG/Tuning Exam

Dean L. Reyburn, RPT 75601.2765@compuserve.com
Thu, 04 Jan 1996 18:11:00 -0500 (EST)

Subject:     PTG/Tuning Exam
Sent:        1/4/96 5:12 PM
To:          pianotech listserver, pianotech@byu.edu

Barb Barasa wrote:
>Why not take the tuning exam, or find a really good tuner who would critique
>your work so you know where you stand?  I knew I was getting really good, but
>I didn't realize HOW good until I took the exam.  After that, I felt much
>more confident when offering my services.
>
>I don't think in your situation you can up your price without showing that
>you meet some standardized criteria.  I usually knock $5 off each piano if
>they are in the same location because it saves me driving time, etc.  If you
>get in with the school and they are happy with your work, you can always up
>your price in the future, but you really need to be able to convince them
>(which means convincing yourself first) that you are worth it.

Amen to that!

First of all: Any piano technician out there who wants to better
him/herself and who's not a member of the Piano Technician's Guild,
there's no better time to join than now.  The PTG is THE BEST source of
technical info about our trade.  The Piano Technician's Journal is
invaluable, and the regional and national PTG Conventions, with the PTG
Institute classes are the best way to improve yourself.

In my experience, most piano dealers, colleges, and informed customers
will pay more for, and be more willing to hire a Registered Piano
Technician.

For those of you PTG Associates out there, Barb's testimony is a great
recommendation.

>From my experience, there are a lot of really GREAT tuners out there who
are either PTG Associates, or non-members.  They have been scared off
from taking the Registered Piano Technician (RPT) tests because they
heard they are hard.  The test is hard, but it needn't be a scary
experience, but a positive one.

I've given quite a few RPT tuning exams, and I _continally_ hear
variations on these two comments (after the exam):

1.  That wasn't as hard as I thought!
2.  I learned far more about improving my tuning today than I thought
possible!

The RPT tuning test is a great educational experience.

The best way to start on this road is to have an RPT, or even better a
Certified Tuning Examiner (CTE) do a "pre-test" on your tuning.  This
reduces the initial cost from $60 to free (usually), and requires far
less time.  A CTE should be able to tell you if you are likely to pass
the tuning exam in about 2 hours or so.

The CTE's for each area are listed in the yearly "PTG Membership
Directory".  My area is Western Michigan, but I am happy to give pretests
*free* to any PTG Associate who can make it to the Grand Rapids, Michigan
area.

I would be happy to provide names and phone numbers of the CTE in your
area, or answer any questions about the RPT tuning exam.

There are actually three tests to pass to become a RPT:
1. Written exam.
2. Technical exam.
3. Tuning exam.
Each test must be passed at 80%

The National PTG Convention in Dearborn MI this year is also a good place
to take the tuning test, but they don't usually give the pre-test.  Most
regional PTG Conventions will have testing also.

The PTG home office number is 816-753-7747, or contact their email
address at:
75032.3711@compuserve.com

Dean

* Dean L. Reyburn, RPT                                  *
* "Software Solutions for Piano Technicians"            *
* REYBURN PIANO SERVICE, INC.                           *
* Sanderson Accu-Tuner Authorized Distributor           *
* 2695 Indian Lakes Rd, NE  Cedar Springs, MI  49319    *
* 616-696-0500    Fax: 616-696-8121                     *
* INTERNET:75601.2765@compuserve.com                    *