Piano loan program

Scott Thile sethile@msumusik.mursuky.edu
Thu, 04 Jan 1996 17:56:43 -0700 (MST)

Newton Hunt wrote:

>The dealer is wanting to charge us $100 for each piano he moves in to replace
>the old.  This is not a budgeted expense of $2000 which we cannot afford.
>
>We, the chair and I, would appreciate knowing how many other schools are
>charged a moving in fee, how much it is, and any other expenses incurred with a
>loan program.

We have a loan program that allows us the use of 13 Yamaha pianos. Our only
expense associated with the program is insuring the pianos.  We are not charged
anything for moving.  The dealer handled uncrating and moving them into
position.
Of course I need to maintain the pianos, but being full time here, that
expense is transparent.

Last year we had a different dealer sponsoring the program (still Yamahas) and
my understanding is that the pianos came to central receiving and we were
responsible for uncrating them and moving them into position. (This was before
my time though.)

We had an agreement with Baldwin, at the school I worked in before I took this
position.  The school paid the interest on the pianos. I think it was
similar to the
deal Baldwin gives there dealers for "flooring" pianos. Again the dealer and
Baldwin
handled the moving.

Let me know what happens.  I have heard that many of these programs are
being cancelled but have not heard why.

Scott
Scott E. Thile, RPT
Piano-Instrument Technician
Department of Music,Murray State University
P.O. Box 9, Murray, KY 42071, Ph:  502-762-4396
Email:  sethile@msumusik.mursuky.edu